Sunday, February 4, 2024

Making Masochistic Supply and Demand Especially Clear

 "The algorithms powering the sites will help here, because they’ll amplify the phrases that get the most “engagement” (ie: annoyed readers)"
https://socialwarming.substack.com/p/cut-it-up-how-scissor-statements

 

 If twatter users genuinely didn't want to be annoyed, they would block the annoying tweets. This would certainly decrease engagement, not increase it. Further, sooner or later they would end up with a curated feed. They would only see uplifting, joyful, profitable, or glorious posts. 

 Don't tell me cleaning up a mess is quantum rocket surgodynamics. It's not a technique limited to geniuses. 

 Instead, when someone posts something unprofane, twatter users hardly retwit it and never have anything to say about it.  

 You know how hard it is to find a science feed that's actually about science? As far as I know, it's impossible. Science news died in the early 2000s and has never come back.

 The algorithm is not at fault. Copium. The algorithm explicitly downranks heavily-blocked accounts. The algorithm is merely supplying demand. 

 If you don't want to live in a hellhole, you have to stop behaving like a devil. Personnel is policy.
 Oh sorry, my bad. The whole point of masochists is that they do want to live in a hellhole. Carry on, I guess. I'm gonna keep calling out these lies, though.
 Shit they're probably into that.


 "The key thing about them (apart from the Jaffa Cake ones) is not provable truth or falsity; it’s divisiveness."

 No, the key thing about all of them is that they're boring. Only someone spoiling for a fight could take any of them seriously.

 Admittedly I got got by that one. I sinfully offered the benefit of the doubt. Even though I couldn't see any importance in any of these, I assumed I must be missing something because everyone else was getting so invested into them. 

 But, eventually, I noticed nobody actually behaves any differently. No matter how deeply they research these...'divisive'....statements. They behave as if they don't matter at all, just as I naively think they don't.

No comments: