Saturday, March 4, 2023

Serious Error: Valencing Decline of the West

I forgot to ask: is this my West? Is this in fact my business?

I put a value on an asset (or liability) I do not own.

It is in fact none of my business. Am I interested in conquering 'the West' whatever that is, thus making it my business? Uh...not so much. Seems like a big pain, on balance. 

I put an value on an asset (or liability) I do not own and do not intend to purchase.
What the fuck was I on.


The West can decline if it wants. Be my guest. The depreciation doesn't go on my balance sheet. 


Indeed because it clearly is declining, rather than getting more involved and intimate with it, I should distance myself as much as possible. "I don't want to decline. I probably shouldn't hang out with pathetic decliners." Failure is contagious. However much of my business it was, it's a good idea to make it less my business. 

Supply and demand. The West is declining because its owners and customers want it to decline. This means I am not the target audience. I am not part of the market for this product.
(Demand for failure is a bit mind-bending, but you can't argue with experiment.)

I absolutely should not care about it, if possible, in the slightest.

While the marketing materials for The West portray it as a product I might like, who the fuck believes marketing materials? Doesn't it say, "WARNING: MARKETING. LYING OUT OUR ASS" right on the front in 50-point type? "I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOU, I JUST WANT YOUR MONEY (WITHOUT HAVING TO FIGHT YOU FOR IT)." Strangers gonna strange. I don't particularly care if they trust me, why would I think I have any basis for trusting them? Hey, Einstein: by default, trust is zero or negative. If they haven't bought some they don't have any. 

It's helpful in that the marketers trying to sell this lemon seem to know about the kinds of things I find appealing. I can then go and look for hawkers offering such things, such as specifically not anyone trying to sell me The West.

2 comments:

TheDiv said...

OK, but the decline means there is a higher chance of you getting shot and also you get poorer, due to less demand for your skills and inflation. There is no way the hordes of orcs do not affect you.

Alrenous said...

"However much of my business it was, it's a good idea to make it less my business."

There are several ways the hordes of orcs don't affect me, although it doesn't happen by accident.