Saturday, January 27, 2024

I don't believe in hypnosis because hypnotists say stuff like this

 I say 'try' all the time and then succeed.

 Seems to me that hypnotists are trying to hypnotize you into thinking that hypnosis works

When someone says, "I'll try," what they mean is, "I'm going to put in enough effort to make it look good, but then I'm going to quit before I succeed because I didn't really want to do it anyway.". Never accept "I'll try" when you can get "I will do it now."
https://nitter.x86-64-unknown-linux-gnu.zip/NoahRevoy/status/1750146585156067477

 This one looks especially Satanic to me, because it discourages you from saying, "Okay, I'll try it at least." 

 Stuff like Darkest Dungeon is useful because you can go on the DD forum and say, "Have you tried it?" (Having tried it yourself.) The answer is never yes. Then you can go out in the real world, where 'trying it' is fuzzier, and notice all the whiners are the same as on the DD forum, none of them have tried it. The ones who claim to have tried it are lying. 

 E.g. when someone tells you that being homeless is a trap, ask them if they've tried it. If not, point them to me: I've tried it. The only thing that's really bad about being homeless is all the waiting in line, which is primarily done to be intentionally humiliating. Egalitarians feel strongly that they need to shame the homeless, but can't just come out and say they need to be ashamed, so there's all these stupid games. Indeed it's clear that, from the Egalitarian's perspective, the point of running soup kitchens &c is precisely to humiliate anyone who has to use one.

 And then we have all these problems where the homeless get so stressed they flip out inside soup kitchens and get banned. Such a mysterious dynamic. Who could have seen this coming. Same way the welfare bureaucracy is too complicated for [anyone who needs welfare] to navigate.

 

 It is true that many have lied to Noah using the words, "I'll try." Here's the thing about liars: they can change how they word their lies. E.g. [snowflake]. If any of them read this tweet, all that will happen is that they'll say, "I will do it now," and then put in only enough effort to make it look like they did it.  

 What you should do in response to liar is not to try to police what words mean. What you should do is a) not believe them b) tell them you don't believe them.
 Though also, as a coach, nobody should feel the need to lie to you in the first place.

 

 If you're in the position of coach and someone says "I'll try" like this to you, that means you fucked up. Dear reader, do you remember a time when you said something like this? I do. It was because I felt pressured to do something I saw no good reason to do, and the easy way out wasn't to explain why it was pointless, because they weren't listening.

 Noah gets this because he stops listening to his clients. Noah gets this because he's failed to persuade them to do whatever it is. He's also clearly lacking or lost their trust. They are lying to him because, probably rightly, they believe he won't accept their point of view. "I'm the coach here." All of these things are more important than whatever specific thing they're trying or not trying to do.

 If we had a recording, we could rewind the tape, to find out where the client started resisting. At this point, Noah should have asked why they were resisting. Then, if he can't persuade them not to resist, if he can't make it seem like doing the thing is their own idea, not his idea, accept their judgment. If you have nothing better than "coach says so" as motivation, then that's on you, not them.

 I would probably do it the easy way. "Why don't you want to try it?" What does just trying it cost? We can then discuss the cost. Ideally I find a way of trying it that's cheap. 

 Lets use spiders as our stupid example. I want someone to try not having arachnophobia. They think it's fine to be scared of spiders forever. I would suggest having someone else trap a spider in a sealed glass container, so the arachnophobe can approach the spider. It's clearly harmless. The cost is low; setting aside their discomfort, it's actually zero. They can just try it. "How far did you get and why did you stop?"
 If they still don't want to do it, it's not about the spiders. Ultimately it's their life and their decision; I don't have to live with it if I don't want to. Only they do. 



 P.S. "Even God's forgiveness will not let you escape the natural consequences of your actions. Pay your debts, or suffer the consequences."

 Christians believe forgiveness is nothing. If you break it and say you're sorry, you bought it. Gotta pay for it. If you break it and don't say you're sorry, you bought it. Gotta pay for it.
 Actually Noah's a heretic here. Christian consensus is that forgiveness means society has to pay for it instead of you.

No comments: