Friday, September 6, 2024

I Did a Dumb When [They Don't Come Back]

 Sometimes stories have a bit where, [folk who head out that way don't come back], and my instinctive response is always, "What if they don't come back because it's better there than here?" E.g. if someone who dies ends up in heaven, why would they return? It could be fine. You don't know.

 No, actually, you do know. I'm being plain stupid. My instinct is insane.

 You have to get very contrived to prevent folk from coming back. Has to be a law that says nobody who leaves again is allowed to return. And nobody just makes a mistake and leave anyway. Or they kill everyone trying to leave, and again nobody makes a mistake. No smuggling. 

 Yeah, if nobody comes back you can go ahead and assume they're dead. If there's a heaven, it doesn't work the way you're told it works. They can't come back because there's nothing there to come back.

 

 In my defence, the stories themselves are usually about a guy who went there anyway and didn't die. Turns out I'm imperfect and don't ward off blandishments 101% of the time. Who knew. 

 Have to come back and check. Audit.

No comments: