Thursday, February 15, 2024

Salt and Rule: If It Tastes Bad, Don't Eat It, If It Feels Bad, Don't Eat It

 I hit my salt limit. I got the nutrient-overload headache. It tastes good, but it feels bad, so I had to cut back. (Still tastes good, but not as good.) The research saying you shouldn't overload your salt seems valid. We just want to throw out the parts where they think having three potato chips will instantly blow out both kidneys.

 Salt has a nice wide 'eh, that's fine' range. This means I can have cheat days where I salt the heck out of stuff without flooding the salt vats. I certainly don't want to ride the bare edge of viable.


 Note that the reason you want to avoid "added sodium" is that you can overload on sodium while still being deficient in chlorine, which is needed for stomach acid, white blood cells, and possibly other things I don't know about. Just salt they food. "Food scientist Steve Witherly noted in 2017 that MSG may promote healthy eating by enhancing the flavor of food such as kale while reducing the use of salt." Always a great idea to try doing the opposite of whatever [[food scientists]] say to do. Kale tastes bad because it is bad, cue midwit meme. My favourite has always been beet greens, though they're difficult to get if you're not interested in the beets.

 Do remember that they claim salt is iodized, but they're essentially lying. It has bare traces of iodine. 

 At the end of the day, don't listen to the dietary advice of schizos on the internet. Including me, obviously. Eat what tastes good and feels good.

3 comments:

rezzealaux said...

apparently mechanized food does not use iodized salt (cheaper).
and the pink himalayan salt is not iodized (popular).
people have salt limits and the salt intake is no longer iodized, thus recent reappearance of iodine deficiency.

Alrenous said...

Iodine raises IQ. Harrison Bergeron.

"Mechanized" is a great term for it.

JBPGuy said...

Don't forget your potassium, ratio is important