Thursday, February 22, 2024

Ambition: The Comfort Question

 Having mentioned Curt's motivation by fear instead of joy, I remembered I should probably mention mine explicitly. 


 Here's the project: answer the comfort question. 

 All existing creeds and codecies can be reduced to maximizing comfort for some anointed group. E.g. monotheism is about making [[God]] most comfortable, because he will make you uncomfortable if he himself isn't comfortable. As with this example, almost every creed can be reduced to making the self comfortable. Solipsistic reduction of pain. Do I need to do Buddhism? Not-suffering. Everything is like this; I've checked.

 

 That can't be it, can it? That can't be all there is? Surely there's something more than that.


 You know what makes me uncomfortable? Having nothing more glorious than comfort to strive for.

 A society which accepts my scholarly drive is one that will, by hook or by crook, have something greater than mere coziness to boast about. 

 Creation is a party? Yes.

 Glory is glorious? Absolutely.

 Founding glory for the sake of bring about more glory is not good enough. The best means, yes, but only a means. 


 One day I will create something which can aspire to be more than merely not-uncomfortable. What will it be able to do? I dunno. If I already knew that, I would already have the answer. That's exactly the difficulty. That's the challenge to overcome.

 First, I must accrue the power to do so.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Inventing a new technology