Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Toothpaste vs Baking soda

So the only reason I wasn't already brushing my teeth with baking soda is that my mother told me it tasted horrible.

I can't decide whether I should excoriate her for being an idiot or me for believing her.

I was experimenting with vinegar as a cleaning compound, and I decided to have fun with the whole science-fair volcano thing. Pure vinegar really does smell like 'volcano' to me. Then I realized I'd never properly tested baking soda as a toothpaste.

The first thing I found out is that it tastes better than toothpaste. So, I got my toothbrush and started brushing. It was much more comfortable than toothpaste - it doesn't burn.

I noticed it easily equaled toothpaste as a cleaner; as in, not impressive. So I got a better payload and tried again. Success. Baking soda also cleans better than toothpaste.

Notably, baking soda is also edible, though I wouldn't recommend it. I did find swallowing some was less than awesome.

So, tastes better, cleans better, nontoxic, doesn't burn, and it is cheaper. It even says right on the box that you can use it for cleaning your teeth. So, obviously, everyone uses toothpaste. Can you say marketing coup?

5 comments:

Kent said...

I think it's unfair to call your mother an idiot for believing baking soda tasted horrible. Everyone has different tastes and she simply did not enjoy the taste of baking soda. I think you're the idiot for assuming you had the same tastes as her.

Kent said...

Furthermore, I think I will try this baking soda. See what all your fuss is about. Also the burning taste might be the flavour of toothpaste. I detest the minty burning taste of toothpaste so instead I use the orange Aquafresh. Nicer taste and no burning. I blame the mint.

Wilton Winrow said...

There are many benefits of using baking soda on teeth! Also known as sodium bicarbonate, baking soda can help lessen discoloration by brushing onto one's teeth after being dissolved in water. Natural elements such as baking soda are one of the best ways to keep one's dental hygiene in good condition! It removes plaque, freshens the breath and prevents tooth decay. However, there are toothpastes out there that are really recommended by most dentists.

Alrenous said...

I imagine dentists recommend it because they get paid to do so. Or in this case, paid to endorse marketing dudes commenting on random blogs.

What would dentists recommend if there were no financials in either direction? Well, it's hard to say.

It's true, though, that I settled on a fluoride free toothpaste.

TexasTerry said...

I've been trying baking soda recently and I'm shocked by the results. It's much better than toothpaste in my opinion.
Plaque got removed well and some tartar actually came off.
As for sensitivity I just alternate with toothpaste.
I also blame mint for burning but it also leaves a fresh breath albeit by covering up bad breath.
There is def a lot of hype around toothpaste and I'm sure it's a big money maker.

I pour baking soda into a small dish used for soy sauce and dip my wet brush into it and brush away. There is always a box in my bathroom cabinet now